This is just the velvet layer of the corset sewn together and pinned to the too small for it form.
I'm working on the "work" layer now. So many boning cases to make...
Back drape which I need to steam to get the wrinkles out of, kinda like the texture from them.
Hem finish I used on the dags of the skirt is just a tight zig-zag, and worked out well once I got the metallic thread to stop breaking, why do I keep using it.. oh yeah it is pretty..
I want no outer stitching showing on the velvet, so all of the boning will go on the inner twill layer. The velvet layer is then basted to the twill layer and the pieces treated as one.
The question is to flat fell or not to flat fell. This isn't a tightlacing corset so it doesn't really need it, but the only way I can think to keep it from showing outside on the velvet is to do it seam by seam and then baste down the velvet layer afterward.
I've looked at harmanhay 's purple velvet underbust and all the posts on that which has been very helpful. After staring at the photos for a bit it looks like regular seams with the allowances tacked down to keep them in place but I might be wrong about it.
Prep the strength layer, put in the boning and then baste outerlayer to it.
Mark out straps
add hook and eye
Pick up the mulling fabric and cover.
draft sleeve pattern and figure out attachment.
Need to press seams and put in some temp bones and then check fit again.
zig zag the raw edge
Got a corset pattern partly scaled up, it came out smaller then I expected so I have lots of messing with it to do, but at least I have a base for it now.
Velvet skirt needs to be sewn but holding off on that until I decide how I want to sew it, leaning towards cutting down the seam allowances and doing a narrow zig zag stitch as a way to seam it and take care of the edges in one pass without messing with the drape of it. I wish I had a serger it would make this so much easier.
Need to test the fusible on a scap of velvet to see how much it will change the hand of it, if it doesn't work out well then I'll flat line it with some cotton.
Early BBC monster...
I got part of the petticoat cut out for the Evil Disney Queen dress. I going to have to sit down and figure out how to cut out the lining layer for it, as I have random lengths of fabric left and it is going to take some tweaking.
Almost done hand sewing my doublet, I think it needs to be let out a bit more, but won't know for sure until I have the hooks and eyes on. Trim wise after being on the fence about the gold lace, and then liking it. I realized that it was just a bit too wide to look proportionate on me. So the hunt for trim starts again. I saw some perfect trim at Joann's but I didn't check how wide it was and at 8 or 9 bucks a yard it was put back as I need 10+ yards. Oddly enough they had the same trim just a bit narrower for only 4.99 a yard. Bah.
Trim hunting thus far, as a reminder to myself.
Gold star shaped trim with pearls, 1 inch wide
light gold 3/4 wide
light gold 1 inch wide