centuriessewing: (Default)

Lots of hand sewing this week, I’ve gotten very good at pad-stitching. So far I’ve done the layered interlining of a jerkin and I’m almost done pad-stitching the same for the Saxon Gown bodice.

Black velvet jerkin pad-stitched interlining

 

Pad-stitched Saxon Gown interlining

Originally published at Centuries Sewing: Historical Costumes and Clothing. You can comment here or there.

centuriessewing: (Default)

I have always liked Saxon Gowns, they have a different look from the French and English gowns of the early 16th century, they have interesting construction puzzles, and an excuse to use several yards of velvet and fancy fabric is always a good thing.

saxon gown fabrics, brown velveteen and jaquard

After going back and forth with a friend on just how these gowns were put together, looking at lots and lots of paintings, and seeing what other costumers have done I decided to make one for myself.

 

I picked up some brown velveteen for cheap along with some jacquard in a similar color and started plotting.

I started a pinterest board for Cranach styled gowns to get an overview of what style elements I wanted to incorporate.

I have always been fond of the tall collared styled gowns and I haven’t seen many of them recreated so that is what I set my sights on.

Cranach the Elder 1528, portrait of a young woman holding grapes and apples.

Cranach-1534-portraitofanoblewoman

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I dug out my tall collared doublet pattern to use as a base for the bodice, this version of the patterns has a few issues so it would need a bit of adjustment to get things right.

fitted gown back collar wrinkles

One of the issues with my doublet pattern, too tall in the collar and the base of the neck is too wide.

Doublet pattern base

Doublet pattern base

I cut out a mock-up in muslin adjusted the collar and the back of the neck.

That basted in place I put it on my dress form and marked where the bust point fell on the form.

But when I tried the mock-up on, where I marked the bust point on the form, is not where my bust point is. This is important as I’m using the bust point as a marker for where the edge of the gowns fall.

 

 

So I marked on the mock-up where my bust point hit. This also gives me the basis for how wise the front gap will be in the finished gown. Once that was marked I trued up my edges and starting at the bust point flared the front out to form the collar, and I am left with a pretty good base for the gown bodice. The only thing left to adjust is the back collar.

Bust point to flared collar

Flaring the collar out, starting at the bust point

Saxon Gown bodice mock up1

Saxon Gown bodice mock-up

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Originally published at Centuries Sewing: Historical Costumes and Clothing. You can comment here or there.

Profile

centuriessewing: (Default)
centuriessewing

December 2016

S M T W T F S
    123
456789 10
1112 1314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Syndicate

RSS Atom

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 20th, 2017 05:31 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios